Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Broadback

Tumbleweed wrote:

"Andrew" wrote in message

I'm thinking of giving my front garden a makeover shortly which would
involve laying a few square metres of new turf. Is it too late for this
year, or am I ok to do this for a while yet?

Thanks

Andrew

P.S. It's a north facing lawn that doesn't get much full sun, if that's
relevant.

I would wait until September, in case we have another dry/hot spell. Though
as long as you keep it watered it should be fine anyway. YOu can law turf at
most time but if its too hot it will dry out, and if its too wet/cold its
either difficult to get sold ground or the roots wont grow quickly and make
good contact with the soil.

In the recent hot spell, even with assiduous watering, a few bits of a small
area I turfed have dried up and died out. My fault but turf has a very thin
soil layer so it can dry out very quickly.

A bit off topic, but I have had turf laid about 4 years ago and again a
few months back, both were grown on plastic mesh. I suppose it helps
with growing and harvesting, but it is a pain for the gardener,
especially if you have to dig any up.

--
All replies to this email address are deleted on receipt.

Common sense, not common market.