Old 09-08-2005, 02:04 AM
Lyn

How about if I make a container filled with gravel or whatever
and push the water via the output of the pump into the bottom
of it and then have the overflow cascade down a falls into the
pond? The design of the pond is such that this idea comes to
mind. the top of the falls is about 2 feet above the surface of the
pond.

The problem that I have this concept is that I know pine
needles will be falling into the pond. I don't mind netting them
out each day but if there were a way to automate their removal,
that would of course be better.

Thanks!!!
Lyn

"Richard Tanzer" wrote in message
.. .
~ jan JJsPond.us wrote in
:

www.jjspond.us

I use a similar system. I have a set of four ponds, the water flowing

from
the small top one (about 25 gal.) down a small waterfall into the next one
(about 100 gal.) down another small waterfall into my approx. 200 gal.
pond, and finaly into the main pond which is about 300 gal.

The upper 3 ponds have mostly irises and waterlilies. The bottom pond has
goldfish and koi.

Now the filter system: where the water cascades from the 2nd pond into the
3rd pond it flows into a large (about 2 gal.) flower pot - the kind used
for water plants, actually more of a basket. The basket is filled with
gravel.

I find that by washing the gravel about 4 times each year, the water stays
clean and the fish are health. Also, sediment collects in the upper

ponds,
which I clean out whenever I wash the gravel.