Old 16-08-2005, 01:22 AM
World Traveler

"Stubby" wrote in message

FXDWG wrote:
I've occasionally seen Humming Birds outside my front door near the
garden. I think they're really cool, and would love to attract more.

I bought a Humming Bird feeder, which is sort of an upside down liquid
dispenser filled will with some REAL sugary sweet bright red stuff.
We haven't seen one Humming Bird.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how best to attract the
little buggers.

We never had any luck with the red juice and feeders. Plus, I've heard
that if you don't clean them every three days, the fluid with ferment and
poison the hummingbirds.

This year, GF planted a bee balm plant, several cosmos, lots of zennias
and we have a rosa regosa. Now we get at least one hummer every
afternoon!

Agree -- in this area (Central Florida) we've planted firebush (hamelia
patens), salvia gregii and salvia coccinea and have as many as five
hummingbirds at a time. We also see them regularly feeding in the Hong Kong
orchid tree (bauhinia blakeiana). We put some of salvia in pots right next
to the LR window (tinted) and the hummingbirds come right up to the window
to feed, so you can sit no more than 2 feet away from them and watch.
Hummingbirds here are supposed to be migratory and only around in the spring
and fall, but ours have stayed through all four seasons. Regards --