Old 18-08-2005, 03:52 PM
EESiFlo - Mark Hill

Well Nina, looks like you've exactly described what's happening to my larch.

I'm a newbie (3 years) and I'm still learning how much to water my trees,
and until now, I wrote this off to over watering
However, three months ago one of my Larch (apparently very healthy) turned
brown and died in a matter of days!
A month later, two smaller ones did exactly the same thing. Within days they
went from bright green to brown sticks.

Just so happens, last year I was surrounded by soybean crops.
LARGE fields of them.
Usually, these fields are filled with corn, but for some reason, last year
the farmer switched to soybeans.
This year he's back to corn again.

Is it possible a pathogen was blown from the soy fields last year and sat
dormant in my larch plantings until the extreme heat of this summer
triggered something ?

If one of my larches in a forest planting gets infected, must I assume
they're all going to die? Heaven forbid !

Mark Hill - Harrisburg, PA - Zone 6