Old 19-08-2005, 09:36 AM
p.k.

Martin Brown wrote:

Rather slowly. And much more slowly in the N UK when they barely get
out of dormancy before it is back to winter again. Mine (~1m tall)
have just finally got a full set of nice new leaves out in August.
Don't expect to ripen any fruit. Growing season is extended if grown
under glass.

I got 2 olives off mine last season - none this year! (London SW19)

My tree went in two autumns ago at about 2m and is now 3m+.

If you can, avoid buying at Garden Centres! If you know someone in the trade
(Designer, gardener, landscaper) who has access to trade suppliers speak to
them nicely and they will be able to supply at a deep discount off GC
prices. I can get 2m-ish trees for £30-ish ex - trade nursery (Italian stock
imported by the thousand). Similar stock I see in Garden Centres for around
£100.

pk