Old 22-08-2005, 10:53 PM
Pam Moore

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:53:05 +0100, "Martin Sykes"
wrote:

I'm in my 3rd year of weedkiller/pesticide free gardening and the results so
far seem encouraging although too soon to say it's definitely the reason :

1. Almost no slug/snail damage this year, even on the hostas. I've been
encouraging the birds ( there is now a regular thrush and a decent pile of
smashed snail shells) and using pistachio shells round the hostas.

2. Hardly an aphid of any variety to be seen anywhere ( although no
significant increase in ladybirds/lacewings either as far as I can tell )

Still causing problems though a

1. Chafer grubs in the lawn despite the best efforts of the starlings

2. Mildew

And has anyone noticed that with the increase in bees etc., the flowers seem
to be over almost as soon as they've begun ?

On balance though, it's definitely a less stressful and cheaper way to
garden...

Sounds like you're doing a grand job.
Have you tried spraying with diluted milk for the mildew? It worked
for me on one plant.

Pam in Bristol