Old 10-12-2002, 07:45 AM
Tumbleweed

Default To late to sow grass seed?

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 21:25:50 +0000, hugh ] wrote:

In article , tony
writes
Could one of you knowledgeable people tell me if it would be possible
to sow grass seed in December and have any hope of success?

Snip Basically, no. Too cold by far for seed to germinate. Leave it
til Spring. Pre-germinate the seed and it will grow much more quickly.

I beg to differ. I would be prepared to sow grass seed at any time as
long as there was no danger oif it beingb washed away, as happened me
once.

There is certainly growth still as evidenced by the untidy height of
our grass and the weed still pushing up.

Sow it and be d****d :-)

Paul Mc Cann

Imagine sowing it in these conditions! Try and rake the lawn level and you'd
have huge clods of mud being raked up. And depressions underneath you as
your feet squelch into the mud, making an uneven mess. If it did germinate,
you'd have a patch and uneven mess that would need to be sorted next spring.
There is a difference between grass growing slowly, and grass seed
germinating. Thats why you dont see grass seed on your grass at this time of
year, because it germinates very slowly or not at all in the cold.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)