Old 25-08-2005, 01:54 PM
earthgirl

Hi Chookie, Janet
Chook fever grabs the globe eh? But for good or evil, we are yet to
know!
I myself have wanted some Bantams for ages. My husband lives in fear of
the day I actually carry this out. I'd like some Silkies- They're so
ridiculously gorgeous.
But not quite yet, maybe after this flu epidemic eh?!
In the meantime, I have a smallish suburban block which pretty much
consists of solid sandstone, with some grass tentatively clinging to
the top.
We just got our rainwater tank (4400L)
and are saving up tp get our grey water diverted to the loos.
We have a macadamia tree, a mandarin tree, orange and A potted lime and
lemon. I have just ordered a 'fruit salad tree'which has graftings of 2
plums, nectarin and peach. Can't wait to get it.
! planted a variety of herbs in plastic buckets (cheap colourful
containers) and I have just grown beans in plastic bottles ( idea from
Jackie Frenches book 'How to guzzle your garden'.
I have grown perpetual spinach in pots and it lasts forever ( to my
childrens dismay). But excellent value. I have grown tomatoes and
capsicum from seed too.
Our block is on a slope and so our gardens are on several levels. It's
an interesting challenge but I am addicted to Permaculture and this
encourages creative solutions.
I am very interested in seeing people in subrban blocks achieve at
least partial self-sufficiency. And I'm really interested in eco homes
too. Also Community gardens.
Natalie (Sydney, Australia)