Old 09-12-2002, 10:32 PM
Tumbleweed

Default To late to sow grass seed?

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:56:32 -0000, "flake"
wrote:

"Paul Mc Cann" wrote in message

I beg to differ. I would be prepared to sow grass seed at any time as
long as there was no danger oif it beingb washed away, as happened me
once.

There is certainly growth still as evidenced by the untidy height of
our grass and the weed still pushing up.

Sow it and be d****d :-)

But if you put grass seed down now, surely all you'll be doing is feeding
the birds ? Keeping the birds off for a week or so whilst the seed
germinates is one thing, trying to do so for a few months is another
(assuming any growth isn't killed off by frosty damp conditions first).

At
best I think the results would be very patchy and would need redoing in

the
spring.

Try it by all means, but your I think you'll have 2 chances of success -
one's fat, the others' slim ;o)
Cheers, Diane

The birds are always with us and very few that I know eat grass after
it has started to sprout apart from hens etc.

And its going to take weeks to months to sprout, if it sprouts at all. WHich
was Diane's point I think.

Grass is incredibly tough and doesn't need nambt pamby treatment.

And its a plant and its seeds need a certain amount of warth to grow. And
the ground needs a certain amount of preparation.

If the ground is prepared and you wait till spring I can guarantee the
weeds will beat you to it hands down.

Which is why you shouldnt waste any time trying to prepare the ground now
(let alone the practical difficulty of doing so)

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)