Old 31-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from dotCompost contains these words:

I had
no idea that this (out-of-date) offer came from outside GardenBanter. I
didn't know that folk from "usenet poster" popped in here. I don't
understand why - it seems they don't wish to be part of GardenBanter.

Usenet posters don't "pop in" to gardenbanter, or wish to be part of
it. Gardenbanter steals usenet posts from usenet, reproduces them with
the sender's usenet address cut off (that's why you couldn't respond
direct to the seed offerer) and allows its own rather dim gardenbanter
members to think they are using a garden forum set up and run by
gardenbanter.

Perhaps GardenBanter is something other than what it appears to be, and
I should reconsider my involvement here...

Well, you got that bit right.

You imagine, don't you, that you posted the above message on a website
called gardenbanter. That this is a forum about gardening, run by
gardenbanter for its members. You're wrong.

Gardenbanter forwarded your message to another, completely different,
independent section of the internet called usenet, to a gardening
discussion group called uk.rec.gardening over which gardenbanter
excercises no control. Apparently, without your knowledge or consent.

Gardenbanter will then pick up my message from usenet, strip off my
contact address and usenet details, and repost it on their own crappy
website to make its members think I posted it on gardenbanter.

Janet