Old 17-12-2002, 06:33 AM
Alan Gould

Default Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
What I'd like to know is how the aphids get into the very, I mean very,
tight buttons I'm so proud of. It takes ages peeling off the outer leaves
until I stop seeing the blighters and their deposits.

This problem can be overcome to some extent by picking the buttons
sooner after they have finished forming up. Very often sprouts are left
on the stem for ages and they become an open invitation to all kinds of
insects looking for fresh greenery in wintertime. Sprout varieties can
be arranged for differing periods of maturity so that button
deterioration on the stem is avoided, or much the same effect can be
achieved by taking off older buttons, thus encouraging more new ones to
form up.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.