Old 03-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Happy Moose

You need a herbicide that specifically targets nutgrass. The Ortho product
and Round-up will not do the trick in my experience.

Basagran T/O is such a product and I have used it in my flower beds. It is
labled for over-the-top spraying of many perennials such as daylilies.
However, it takes several applications and it burns the desirable plants.

I have recently switched to Manage. After the first application less than a
week ago, I can already see the nutgrass dying. However, killing the
foliage is easy. You must kill the nuts that are growing on the root tips.
Manage will do this. You will probably need to be aggressive with your
spraying because there is probably a good supply of young nuts in the ground
that will continue to emerge. You will probably want to spray every three
weeks during next year's growing season.

Manage is labled to kill nutgrass in turfgrasses so it should be fine to
spray on your entire lawn.

You will be better off purchasing the 1 1/2 ounce bottle instead of the 0.9
gram size.

Here is a current ebay auction that has it for sale for $165.00. However,
you should be able to find it for around $120.00 from regular chemical
supplier. The lowest price I have heard of is $90.00.

Bobby Baxter
http://happymoosegardens.com