Old 07-09-2005, 11:46 PM
David Ross

zxcvbob wrote:

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
Greysky wrote:

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
. ..

We bought some locally grown grapes at the farmers' market. Sour little
things, but my wife made a cobbler with them that tastes very good (she
added apples.) The grapes also make an excellent jelly.

I've saved some of the seeds, and would like some advice on growing
grapevines of my own using these seeds.

TIA.

Shouldn't be too hard. Around here, (northern calif.), grape plants come
up
as seeds all the time. They are treated ass weeds, and pulled. I'd say
just stick the seed in the dirt and keep moist. You will probably see some
action next season... as to what fruit a wild grape will produce, is
anyone's guess. But give it a try - you might discover a new variety!

Grapes do not produce true from seed. That is why they are always grown
from cuttings. They can be grown from seed but it is anyone's guess as to
what will grow. Grape vines are not that expensive so if one finds a
variety that is desired, the best thing to do is buy a grafted cutting.

I live so far north, there's not a lot of grape varieties to choose
from. I've found a few wild grape seedlings coming up in the flower
beds and I wonder how much they would produce if I transplanted them to
a trellis and pruned them properly?

How many years would it take before I got that first pitiful little
harvest so I could tell if the fruit was any good? If they were awful,
shouldn't I be able to graft a good variety onto the wild roots and have
bearing vines in another 2 years?

It takes 2-3 years for started plants (bare root) to yield a small
crop. It takes another year or two for the plants to yield a full
crop. I would expect a seedling to take at least 3 years or maybe
even 4-5.

You need to get the vine growing to the extent there are horizontal
branches on a support. These form during a growing season. The
following winter or early spring, side growth on the horizontal
branches is pruned short but not removed. That growing season may
yield a small crop from shoots originated from the reduced side
growth. The pruning is repeated each winter, and the crop is
better each following growing season.

It's difficult to describe the pruning process for grapes. There
are actually two main pruing styles. Some grape varieties do
better with one, some with the other, and some equally well with
either pruning style. Try to find a book on pruning or grape
culture in your local library.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean