Old 12-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Argo

Default new squash tactic

This year I tried something new with my zuccini plantings. A couple of
years ago, my mother showed me where she had planted beets, beans, and
chard on the top of her compost heap. They grew like mad. So, I
thought, "What a great idea" and this spring, I planted three zuccini
seedlings on the top of last year's (and this spring's) compost heap.

Amazingly, all three plants grew well and produced well. Why was this
amazing? It turns out that my mother had planted her crops on a mature
compost pile, not one with green compost on top (I was misled by the
grass mulch on top). I guess my plants managed to get their roots down
below the spring compostables to the rich stuff from last year.

Anyway, it's a great extension to my garden. Saves on garden space.

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com