Old 13-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Reel Mckoi

"hotpepper" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hmmm...I'm getting more hooked by the minute :-) Having read your
replies I am starting to thing about draining the pond and giving it a
once over...

$$ When we do ours we use a shop vac to get that last few drops of scuzz
from the bottom, hose (but not scrub) the sides and suck that out. Then we
refill it and turn the pumps on to start removing the chlorine by agitation.
As that's happening we return the plants - only the BEST ones. The next
morning I return the fish to the pond. That's how we usually do it. I wish
you could see how beautiful the 2000 gallon pond came out. We redid the
plant shelves and just gave it a complete work-over.

I have a free weekend this week so why not. I would be
good to know whats under there, the water is pretty clear now and there
appear to be some nicstuff under there. It would be good to sort it
out and arrange everything as I want.

$$ Exactly. Those dime store Kiddy pools are excellent to hold the fish
while you're doing that. Keep their water aerated and check for ammonia -
keep their plants with them to minimize stress and for the nitrifying
bacteria all over them.

Any advice before I get stuck in?

Fill the kiddy pools with about 3/4s water from your pond and 1/4 or so
fresh water and have at it! :-)

I would like to keep Koi but by the sounds of it I need a bigger pond.

$$ Actually you do. And koi can be hard on plants.

By gardern which is 100' X 25' is big by London standards by probaby
not big enough to allow for a pond big enough for Koi + my better hald
wants a new kitchen...priorities

$ I understand. ;-)
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...