Old 15-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Hi Daniel,

There are lots of folk who can and probably will give you good advice
about how to set up your pond. People can also point you to wonderful
sites with FAQ's sheets. I'll take a look tonite to see if folks have
responded to you. Could you let us know where you live, what wildlife
has access to your pond area and how big a pond you are thinking of doing?

Jim

Daniel Morrow wrote:
Hi all! I just thought I would introduce myself and say that I love the idea
of starting up a pond in my backyard sometime. Seems like goldfish would be
good enough fish for it and am wondering if the pond would need to be
protected with a wire fence to keep out predators like raccoons, birds,
etc.?

Depends what is around and how the edges of the pond are set up.

I like the idea of using a carpet or astroturf like material beneath
the liner to maximize liner life. How long do liners usually last? The
outdoors can be a very hostile place, I know that some plastics will
disintegrate in the hot sun or water conditions.

EDPM gives you 20 years or so. Concrete, like diamonds, can be forever
and expensive.

I'd love to set up a long
channel of rocks,etc. that the pumped water could flow through and get
oxygenated by.

Great idea and you can get lots of advice on how. Streams and veggie
filters are a very good idea!

I heard that there are a lot of trolls here, if there are
then they should go away because I could really use this group for
assistance. Later all!