Old 15-09-2005, 06:00 PM
billfish billfish is offline
Registered User

Location: Alderney, Channel Islands

Hi Daniel,

Try to ignore the morons who insist on having their own personal war here. There are still quite a few good regulars here who I'm sure can help you.

I'm fairly new to this myself as I only set my pond up this year and still haven't got my waterfall/stream finished, but FWIW I'll give my 2 pence worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Morrow
Hi all! I just thought I would introduce myself and say that I love the idea
of starting up a pond in my backyard sometime. Seems like goldfish would be
good enough fish for it and am wondering if the pond would need to be
protected with a wire fence to keep out predators like raccoons, birds,
etc.?
Sorry, can't help you with raccoons, we don't have them here. I built my 800 gallon (US 1000 gallon) pond half-in, half-above ground to prevent the dog walking into it and hopefully deter herons, which I'm told, like to land and walk into ponds to fish. The pond is 1 metre (3 foot 3 inches) deep with plant shelves around 400 mm (16 inches) deep. The shelves have a 2 inch layer of concrete to reinforce them and the excavated part of the pond has a couple of coats of sand/cement render onthem for the same purpose and to stop stones puncturing the liner. I know 16 inches seems deep for plant shelves but it is also to deter herons, cats, etc from stepping in. The outer walls are of concrete block construction 18 inches high.

Quote:
I like the idea of using a carpet or astroturf like material beneath
the liner to maximize liner life. How long do liners usually last? The
outdoors can be a very hostile place, I know that some plastics will
disintegrate in the hot sun or water conditions.
the whole interior of the pond is lined out with foam rubber carpet underlay, then the butyl liner.

Quote:
I'd love to set up a long
channel of rocks,etc. that the pumped water could flow through and get
oxygenated by. I heard that there are a lot of trolls here, if there are
then they should go away because I could really use this group for
assistance. Later all!