Old 02-01-2003, 08:43 PM
ned

Default Effect of dog urine on my plants

HaaRoy wrote:
In my front garden there are some plants that get a lashing from
inconitent dogs.
what is the likely long term damage to them, good or bad ??
maybe cats as well..

Can't speak for cats.
Dog's I know. Male dogs, as in many other species, use spraying as a
territory marker. Any shrubs or herbaceous plants (not thickly barked
trees), even well established hardy ones, that are subjected to
regular spraying will deteriorate and show urine burn damage. I have
yet to see any benefit to the occasionally sprayed plant. So overall
the effect can not be seen as beneficial.
Bitches tend to squat and so their damage will be limited to lawns and
the like. And I can vouch for bitches 'in heat' having stronger urine
than those not in season.
Using wire mesh protection for treasured plants is of little help, the
dogs will simply spray through the mesh.
Low fencing or walling is required to protect the plants.
There are sprays that can be used to persuade dogs to 'go' else-where
but they need regular re-use to maintain their effect.
Or ........ provide an alternative marking post, something solid, that
will appear to the dogs as a permanent territory demarcation symbol.
What you need is a lampost.

--
ned