Old 11-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Neal Ross

Default [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?

Being a born and raised American who has traveled the world extensively I
can see the thinking on both sides of this conversation. America is a great
place, full of innovators. But it also has become a country that has lost
its patience. Instant messaging, fast foods, all those things among others
have caused us to want/expect results in short order. Andy is right, too
many folks get bored and give up when we have to sit through boring basic
techniques. I was one of those who wanted instant results and I lost 3 years
worth of time figuring it out! Having been in Europe and Asia I have seen
people just relaxing and watching the time pass by. I know that has nothing
to do with bonsai, but the experience was quite different from watching
Americans pass their time. We seem to be on a faster track than others. I,
myself, am finally learning that bonsai, above all, is an art that requires
infinite patience. That seems to be one trait that the American lifestyle
has eroded. In that aspect bonsai should/could be a good endeavor for all of
us. How goes the old saying' 'patience is a virtue'?

Just some off the wall ramblings.

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA