Old 17-09-2005, 03:20 AM
Gail Futoran

"Kim" wrote in message

[snip]
I can't really avoid the moles because they are all over
our yard.

I have a vague memory of using chicken wire to
keep out moles. You'd have to do some research
but I think the concept is to line the planting hole
with chicken wire. The moles can't get in, roots will
eventually grow outside the chicken wire but
probably enough will survive to keep the plant
alive. Anyway, it's something worth checking on.

Do you think that I can transplant even if I just planted
them last spring or would that be too stressful on them to move them so
soon. I think I'm going to buy a book about roses, they have a good one
at Home Depot that I was looking at.

Kim

I'll defer to Dave on the transplanting, but I
think you have to choose between losing them
to moles or "fixing" the holes now. If you
do that you might as well transplant. But I'd
be concerned about the heat. If you do
transplant I'd do it in one move. Prepare the
new hole(s), dig up the plant(s) with as much
of the root ball as possible, move immediately
to the new hole. If you can get it, use some
horticultural seaweed. It's a great natural root
stimulator. I've found it in D.C. (when
helping a friend with her first rose) so you
might be able to find it in VA.

Gail