Old 10-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Raw sewage in the garden... problem or blessing?

"MC Emily" wrote in
:

I have to agree with Nick. Our septic tank drains out into the river
but if the river is high the tank backs up and floods into the garden,
where we also have an eating apple tree. However, our views are
perhaps a little different from some people's. We have a farm and in
one way or another are in *muck* every day.

Well, sewage I don't mind too much. But old tampons, sanitary towels,
condoms, cotton buds, etc, though no doubt not particularly dangerous,
strike me as not a lot of fun to gather and dispose of.

As you have a septic tank, you probably don't flush that stuff, but the
detritus from not-long-enough long sea outfalls suggests a lot of people
do. The stuff that comes ashore at Instow beach from sewage has included
syringes before now.

If that is an issue in this case, I can see why one might consider the
offer of a free cleanup.

Victoria