Old 10-01-2003, 07:03 PM
MC Emily

Default Raw sewage in the garden... problem or blessing?

Victoria Clare wrote:

Well, sewage I don't mind too much. But old tampons, sanitary towels,
condoms, cotton buds, etc, though no doubt not particularly dangerous,
strike me as not a lot of fun to gather and dispose of.

I have to agree with you here, Victoria, but personally I would rather
collect these 'by hand', suitably gloved of course (!), and leave it at
that, rather than have an army of people trampling of my sodden lawn
spraying god-knows-what around. Of course, some people's stomachs are
stronger than others also!!

As you have a septic tank, you probably don't flush that stuff, but
the detritus from not-long-enough long sea outfalls suggests a lot of
people do. The stuff that comes ashore at Instow beach from sewage
has included syringes before now.

You're right, we don't flush that kind of stuff and I can sympathise with
you as regards short sea outfalls as I come from Blackpool. You don't get
beaches much filthier than that!!! The smell in summer's wonderful, isn't
it ;o)

If that is an issue in this case, I can see why one might consider the
offer of a free cleanup.

I think a compromise might be to have the council, or whoever, collect what
solids they can and leave it at that. The OP was concerned about plant
damage and I think much more than that would result in definite damage.

Jaqy