Old 22-09-2005, 10:43 AM
adm

"pied piper" wrote in message

"adm" wrote in message

"pied piper" wrote in message

"adm" wrote in message
What's the best order to do this in ?

My lawn just got its late summer. early autumn feed a week or so ago,
now I plan to scarify, hollow tine aerate and then top dress it before
winter sets in.

My current plan is to wait for a couple more rainy days so that the
fertiliser is all intot he soil, then cut it as low as possible,
scarify it, then hollow tines aerate it. The guy that does the HTA
wants to leave the corings on the lawn to break down naturally, so I
presume I need to wait for a few more rainfalls to break then down,
then go ahead with the top dressing.

Does this sound about right, or would anyone recommend a different
approach ?
You should have waited til after scarifying and spiking to apply the
fertiliser

Maybe - but it's too late for that now. What's done is done.

Scarify then cut

OK

hollow tine and remove the cores

Right. Any reason why vs. why not (other than it will be a real pain it
the arse to have the cores all over the garden)?

then seed and top dress

Would it work to mix the top dressing mixture and seed together and just
apply that ? Two birds with one stone. ?

apply autumn feed in november

Already booked in my diary

good luck

Thanks
If you seed first a lot of seed will go down the holes created by the
hollow tining also dressing after seeding will ensure the majority off
seed is covered and not laying on the top.

What is the point of hollow tining if you are just going to put the old
cores back into the soil profile?

Decompaction ? Then allow a few weeks for the holes to close up after rains,
then top dress ?

Will mixing seed with top dressing work or will it be just a waste of seed
do you know ?