Old 23-09-2005, 02:59 AM
Jmagerl

You can root roses without the use of a rooting hormone? I thought roses had
to be grafted ? Whats the purpose of the graft? I will have to give it a try
next year (growing season is over).

I use a 2 liter sodapop bottle and cut the borrom off. It then fits nicely
into a 5 inch pot (I think its a 5 inch pot). Leave the top off for some
air movement. I root my cirtrus cuttings in a sterile media such as perlite.
One cutting per pot for air flow reasons. No direct sunlight. I also use
Dip-n-gro rooting hormone.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Snooze wrote:

Way to go! How did you do that? I've tried this method a few times, but I
think I must be doing something wrong.
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html

-S

yup, i also tried the baggie method several times and failed always-
the stems and leaves just got moldy and died.

i filled a 6" terracotta pot with potting soil and approx 1 tblsp of
rose-tone fertilizer, wet it throughly and stuck a 4" stem approx. 1.5"
into the soil. i used a 1/2 gal mason jar and placed the mouth over the
stem and screwed it into the soil.

i then waited about six weeks- all the leaves on the stem fell off in
about twoo weeks- and watered the soil enough to keep it damp but not
soaked- i basically forgot about it for long stretches.

the leaflets came out in about two days- monday, i looked and saw a
tiny bud, wedsnesday, leaves.

it was outside on a table the whole time. maybe having more air space
and circulation helped? i'm going to try another one this weekend and
see if i can't have another success before the frost.

carl