Old 11-01-2003, 09:59 PM
emuir

Default How to annoy the pigeons?

You can only shoot them legally if they are causing a public health problem,
on that count self licensing is adequate to destroy this otherwise protected
bird. Full information can be gained on the UK Gov website though I'm sorry
I don't have the full address.

I had a problem with seagulls using the back yard of the restaurant I used
to own in Cornwall as a lavatory. When I checked, it was against the law to
shoot them on Sundays. They seemed to know this and spent more time
roosting and making that nerve jarring noise. When I did finally shoot one,
every seagull in the surrounding area circled the building for an hour or so
on full squawk using the tips of their wings to point at me accusingly. I
thought I would be busted by the self appointed moral guardians of the
village and be tarred and feathered. I got away with it and won the battle,
but the gulls won the war.

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
My new kitchen garden is being watched by half a dozen pigeons from
their favourite rooftop about 40' away. I also have a couple of resident
blackbirds.

I'm planning my crops and I want to annoy and disappoint them :-) What
do the team suggest?

Currently I have/planned:

Apple tree Ashmeads Kernal planted
Blueberry Bluecrop planted
Broad Beans "The Sutton" and "masterpiece green longpod" planted
Courgette "Zuccinni F1" planned
Field Beans as a cover crop/green manure planted
Gooseberry Leveller planted
Leek Musselborough planned
Physalis (Cape Gooseberry) planned
Radish Saxa
Raspberry Autumn Bliss planted
Strawberry Aromel planned
Tomato gardeners delight planned

Comments?

Also, none of the pigoens have landed in the garden yet but if they do,
can I legally shoot them with my air rifle?

Thanks!