Old 05-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Boron Elgar

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:24:09 +0100, "Richard Watkin"
wrote:

Hi All,
try a hammer on a hard surface, it is faster than a vice. Hope this helps
you.

Richard M. Watkin.

"Argo" wrote in message
roups.com...
This year has yielded a bumper crop of hazelnuts in my garden. I'd like
to make hazelnut butter (which is awesome - I've made it before) but
I'm only able to make small amounts at any one time. I just get too
tired of cracking the nuts by hand.

My question is - is there such a thing as an automatic or mechanical
cracker that would work well for hazelnuts? Obviously, I wouldn't be
looking for something huge that a manufacturer would use - but
something a step up from a vice-type hand cracker.

Thanks for any tips.

Argo
http://greenrealm.blogspot.com
(a science fantasy)

Hammers splat the nut & often leave shell embedded in the meat.

There are electric crackers on the market, but they are not cheap, and
having only seen them in photos and not in action, I cannot say how
well they work in general and specifically for hazels.

http://www.peasandcornco.com/nut_cracker.asp

Boron