Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Kenni Judd

Ted -- Puzzle, indeed; little of this adds up. In particular, I have no
idea what you mean by "scars," that would be present on a division ...
Unless you've taken the plant out of the pot to look at the oldest part of
the rhizome?

I had no intention, in my prior posting, of suggesting that your vendor was
anything less than 100% honest. Only that after hours of talking to people
who don't know an orchid from a petunia (happens a lot at shows), he might
have "oversimplified" his answer to you. Or been relying on _his_ vendor.
And "seedling," in particular, is one of those words for which meaning, in
practice, often depends on context. Perhaps we need some new words? For
example, a one-word name for "very young mericlones of seedling size"? But
if we are going to be REALLY STRICT: It simply CAN'T be a first-bloom
seedling of Onc. Sharry Baby 'Sweet Fragrance' AM/AOS. The clonal name,
along with the award, belongs only to the awarded plant, and its 'clones or
vegetative divisions.

It could be a first-bloom seedling that would bear the grex name Sharry Baby
[but not the clonal name 'Sweet Fragrance'] if someone remade the cross a
few years back. And there were a lot of other fragrant clones of this first
crossing, so there's no reason to think that the offspring of a re-make
would not produce a lot of fragrance.

High temps are not going to help Sharry Baby produce spikes, but I can see
how they might contribute to taller spikes once they were initiated ...

Sorry not to be more help. Kenni

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
.. .
Well, this plant is living up to its name. I guess it has settled into
its new home, because now it is filling the entire top floor of my house
with its fragrance.

This is the plant that is a puzzle. I discussed it with the vendor on
Sunday, and he reports he bought it, among dozens of others, as a seedling
in a 7.5 cm pot (about 3 inches) about a year and a half ago. I can see
no scars that would be present on any division, and I can see no trace of
a previous inflorescence, so I must assume he is telling the truth, as far
as he knows it, when he says these are first bloom seedlings. I know this
guy and he seems as honest as they come. Except for the size of these
plants, the plants are consisten with his description of them, and he
didn't seem to know why they are as big as they are.