Old 06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Valkyrie

"Travis" wrote in message
news:Jo41f.1137$dl.602@trnddc08...
Yes. Water to sugar 4 to 1. No red dye. It is bad for the birds. If
the feeder is in the sun it will go bad quicker.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Travis and I are lucky in that we get hummers year around, I have pictures
of Annas feeding from snow covered feeders in February. In the very cold
weather I make the 'juice' 3 parts hot water and 1 part sugar, just stir
till dissolved. I don't boil it, don't boil it in the summer either, I just
don't make up mass quantities. Done it for years with no problems. No red
food coloring, totally unnecessary and probably harmful. I also have
duplicate feeders. While two are up the other two are running through the
dishwasher. I use the Humzingers, easy to clean, fill, etc.

In the winter I do take in the feeder about an hour after sundown and set my
alarm to get it back outside about an hour before sunrise when it's freezing
weather. I got comments about some of my winter hummer pictures that I
needed to adjust exposure. It was still o' dark thirty when the first
hummers hit the feeders in the morning and I was taking pictures with a
flash, the pictures weren't dark, the dark was DARK!

Val
Lat. 47:42:18N
Lon. 122:21:19W
Alt. 5ft 2in (when fully vertical)