Old 06-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Travis

Valkyrie wrote:
"Travis" wrote in
message
news:Jo41f.1137$dl.602@trnddc08...
Yes. Water to sugar 4 to 1. No red dye. It is bad for the
birds. If the feeder is in the sun it will go bad quicker.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Travis and I are lucky in that we get hummers year around, I
have
pictures of Annas feeding from snow covered feeders in
February. In
the very cold weather I make the 'juice' 3 parts hot water and
1
part sugar, just stir till dissolved. I don't boil it, don't
boil
it in the summer either, I just don't make up mass quantities.
Done
it for years with no problems. No red food coloring, totally
unnecessary and probably harmful. I also have duplicate
feeders.
While two are up the other two are running through the
dishwasher.
I use the Humzingers, easy to clean, fill, etc.
In the winter I do take in the feeder about an hour after
sundown
and set my alarm to get it back outside about an hour before
sunrise when it's freezing weather. I got comments about some
of my
winter hummer pictures that I needed to adjust exposure. It was
still o' dark thirty when the first hummers hit the feeders in
the
morning and I was taking pictures with a flash, the pictures
weren't dark, the dark was DARK!

It should be 4 to 1. Water to sugar.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5