Old 11-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Where you are located, your babies should have no trouble with the
winter. The depth issue is only relevant from the perspective of
freezing over.

We used to be in Cambridge and are now in Jackson, Mississippi. Our
winters here include times when there is 3/4" of ice on the pond...for a
few days. We run our water features all year. The babies do fine
through the winter.

May yours thrive, whichever process you choose.

Jim

gardencottage wrote:
you don't say where you are located or what the winters are like in your
area

we are in UK - south. probably doesnt drop below freezing for no more
than 12 hours at a time and not very often although everyone says it
will be a cold winter this year. our goldfish and shabumkins have
survived two fairly mild winters so far.

The only thing I would caution in your case is the depth of the pond -
approx 18" - is not very deep for a COLD climate.

we reckon its more like 2 feet but still too shallow for babies? what
if we got a water heater? i wouldnt know the first thing about keeping
fish indoors - do we use a tank?