Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Bob Bauer

Default Holding new roses in pots until the weather cooperates

Tim B asked:

(1) I've read that anything below 28 degrees F will do damage. So I bring
the plants into the garage whenever the forecast is for 34 or lower,
figuring that will cover any local microclimate issues. Am I being too
conservative?

I think so, I think that damage occurs at 26 degrees F and below in
my experience.

It is pointless to worry about them at all if it is above freezing.
They will be fine outside.

Keeping them exposed to cooler temperatures will also keep them
dormant and stop them from growing very much until it is the right
time.

The most sensitive part of the rose is the brand new growth, but even
Really small or tiny plants are more susceptible to frost than larger
plants by the way.

(2) Is there some better solution I'm missing? It's tiring to move a dozen
pots back and forth on a daily basis.

Just look at this as good exercise. We all need lots of exercise.
Good for the heart don't ya know..... It sure beats pointlessly
lifting weights in the gym.

Also, now that you know that your roses will be OK at lower
temperatures, you won't have to do so much moving. Especially after
April 1 in zone 6.

In my area, after an all time historical warm January, it is colder
than cold now (9 degrees F two days ago), and a few roses that have
put out small buds have had them frozen dead. But I'm not the
slightest bit worried about that. They will come back just fine.

By the way, I already have 3 new bare root roses potted up for spring,
and I am moving them outside during the day and inside at night, and
will be doing the same for the next month. It's a labor of
love...... heh heh

Bob Bauer
Zone 6 in Salt Lake City
http://www.rose-roses.com/