View Single Post
  #4   Report Post  
Old 22-10-2005, 03:45 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2005

Hi Charlie,

I'm in the Channel Islands, only a little further south than you. I'm playing it by ear as this is my first year of pond keeping. A couple of weeks ago my fish (Goldfish and Golden Orfe) became reluctant to feed, so I switched from feeding small amounts twice a day to a small amount once a day, thinking they were slowing down for the winter. Since then we've had some bright warm days and they have regained their appetite, so I've gone back to twice a day, though less than I was feeding in summer. By the end of October I think I will switch from goldfish pellets to lightly cooked peas with the skins removed (The fish go mad for them!) as I've heard it's not wise to feed too much protien as winter approaches. Being something of a laxative to fish, peas are supposed to help ensure they don't go into winter torpidity with a lot of nasties in their gut.

As for icing, that shouldn't be a problem here. We very rarely get hard frosts and ice hardly ever lasts for more than a day or two. My pond is a metre deep and I'm not over-stocked so oxygen levels shouldn't be a problem either.

Bill.

[QOUTE]Charlie Brown wrote: I moved into this house a few months ago and inherited a pond with about 20
goldfish in it. the pond is about 12" deep 20' long and 6' wide, it is
quarter filled with lilies and other plants.
I do not have a clue of how to look after them properly, they are lovely to
look at and I would be hurt if anything happened to them. I read that I
should stop feeding them from November to April, is that correct? I am so
busy dealing with urgent repairs that I have not got round to the fish yet,
the place is so overgrown that I cannot even find the pump. Apart from
finding more time, what is the best thing I can start with? I live in the
south of England and we have very mild winters generally.

Regards

Charlie[/quote]