Old 22-01-2003, 12:40 PM
cormaic

Default growing begonias

'Twas Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:33:31 -0000, when "miklol"
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

When should begonia tubers be planted out(I do know its too early yet) and
is there any preparation needed?

Start them indoors, in a dark, warm place, sometime in the
next 4 weeks. Warmth and water is all they need for the first 2-3
weeks until they start to sprout. Put the tubers into the top of a
post filled with multi-purpose compost. Make sure there's 10-20mm room
all around the tuber to allow for expansion, and settle in the tuber
so that the concave top is *just* buried.
You can't plant them out until all risk of frost has passed,
usually mid-late May, so you need to raise them in a frost-free
greenhouse or a windowsill, once the leaves arrive.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk