Old 26-10-2005, 04:57 PM
Steve

Default are sweetgums any good for firewood?

In article .com,
ncstockguy wrote:
We've got a bunch of sweetgum trees to trim and cut some down. Anyone
know if they make decent firewood?

Yes, it makes decent firewood after it has had a chance to dry out.
Splitting hasn't been a problem. It almost shatters with a splitting ax
when green.

OB gardening:
Freshly cut sweetgums are good for cultivating shiitake mushrooms,
considered second to only oak for trees commonly available around here.
I took down a medium size sweetgum and innoculated it early last spring.
We've been picking shiitakes for the last few weeks, but it will be next
year before it really gets going.

--
Steve