Old 28-10-2005, 11:15 PM
default

Default Substrate heater cables and Onyx Sand

Fallout wrote:
Hello all

I'm thinking of setting up a tank with a Seachem Onyx Sand substrate and a
heater cable. Reading about heater cables, I've seen it suggested that it is
best to cover the cable with a fine sand which distributes the heat evenly,
then cover this with the rooting substrate. Is this the way to do it, or
would the cable work just as well in the Onyx Sand, which I'm guessing is
quite a coarse grade of sand (I can only find it online).

I'd be interested to hear comments about Onyx Sand too if anyone has any.
Messing about with substrates is such a pain when the tank is set up I would
like to get this one right first time, if possible

Thanks - Jon

Hi Jon, I'm using Onyx sand in a 20g and it is working fine. It has
a variable coarsness, from almost dusty to about .10 inches dia. The
particles are very sharp, probably not too healthy for cories or other
whiskered cats. I mixed it with black jungle gravel and it stays
fairly blended.

steve