Old 29-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Ted Byers

Default Herbs was Oncidium/Tulumnia Kitty Crocker 'Rose Giant'

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Ted Byers wrote:
Now that would be a fun thing to try... put a few herbs in s/h and see
what happens... I wonder about the hard woody varieties vs the soft
plants (like thyme vs basil for example) Come to think of it, I think
most herbs get a better taste from hard rocky growing conditions... but
that may be just another myth.

There's one way to find out, but alas, I don't have suitable space. Oh how
I long for a greenhouse! :-(
A much bigger kitchen with a much MUCH bigger window would be terrific too!

I think that in principle any plant could be grown in semihydro, but expect
that in practice there are a few that would either need special treatment or
simply would not take to it.

I'll bet if you started growing seedlings standing in water then
transferred them to s/h you'd get a better survival rate... in order to
allow for morphologic root changes between the culture methods.

I've not tried starting seedlings in standing water. Just how do you get
seeds germinated in standing water? What would you suggest doing to secure
the plants in their pots once you transfer them to semihydro?

I was thinking of starting the seeds in a rehydrated peat plug, and then the
mightmare of separating the peat from the roots of the seedling without
damaging the roots, and THEN getting them into semihydro and trying to
figure out how to secure them in place.

I wonder if I could make a gel, using R/O water with my usual fertilizer,
and something to make the gel set at room temperature, and get the seeds
germinated on that. Then, the "slab" of gel that is populated with newly
emerged seedlings could be placed on the top of a pot with something like
PrimeAgra, so the seedlings' roots could grow down into the pot and secure
the plants within the pot. Hopefully the plants would be well established
in the pots before the gel has been completely dissolved as the plants get
extra water. What do you think?

Cheers,

Ted

--