Old 30-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Ray

Default Herbs was Oncidium/Tulumnia Kitty Crocker 'Rose Giant'

Interesting idea, Claude. I know that Oasis makes germinating cells for
that, so a 1" cube with a hole poke down in the top would be fine.

Another alternative is simply a shallow dish of perlite with the fertilizer
solution soaked in it, although I'm intrigued by the gel concept Ted
mentioned. Obviously agar would be good as a gelling agent, but would corn
starch or arrow root work, as well?

Aaron - are you monitoring this? What do you think about starches as
gelling additives?

"Phalguy" wrote in message
Hello!

How about on a piece of oasis ( that green foam used in flower
arrangement )
?

Claude

"K Barrett" wrote in message
| Ted Byers wrote:
| "K Barrett" wrote in message
| . ..
|
| Ted Byers wrote:
| Now that would be a fun thing to try... put a few herbs in s/h and see
| what happens... I wonder about the hard woody varieties vs the soft
| plants (like thyme vs basil for example) Come to think of it, I think
| most herbs get a better taste from hard rocky growing conditions...
but
| that may be just another myth.
|

| There's one way to find out, but alas, I don't have suitable space.
Oh
how
| I long for a greenhouse! :-(
| A much bigger kitchen with a much MUCH bigger window would be terrific
too!

| I think that in principle any plant could be grown in semihydro, but
expect
| that in practice there are a few that would either need special
treatment or
| simply would not take to it.
|

| I'll bet if you started growing seedlings standing in water then
| transferred them to s/h you'd get a better survival rate... in order
| allow for morphologic root changes between the culture methods.
|

| I've not tried starting seedlings in standing water. Just how do you
get
| seeds germinated in standing water? What would you suggest doing to
secure
| the plants in their pots once you transfer them to semihydro?
|
| I was thinking of starting the seeds in a rehydrated peat plug, and
then
the