Old 07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
JG

Default Plants with Silver Dollars

Hi Chris,

As herbivores, Silver Dollars will and do eat plants... as you've
experienced.

I've had limited success with java fern not being eaten, so I wouldn't rely
100% on the above poster's comments. Many aquarists say java fern is bitter
and that's why most fish won't eat it. I used to always wonder if these
folks tasted the plant to discover that or if their fish told them. As
for the SD's diet, I would include romaine lettuce, peas (without shells),
celery, cucumber or any other greens. The SD's really go for fresh veggies.
Fish being fish and herbivores being herbivores, they'll still pick at the
java fern, at least in the many years I've kept SD's.

www.jaysaquaria.com

"Chris Galipeau" wrote in message
. ..
Hi!
I have a tank with silver dollars. First it was planted, but when I bought
Silver Dollars, they ate all my plants. I found out that they don't eat on
Java Moss. I wanted to know if someone knows other plants that Silver
Dollars will not eat?!?! I tried many, but for now, I only found Java Moss
that they will not eat. Thanks!