Old 12-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Michael Baugh

Default Wooden 4x4 vs Vinyl or Plastic posts?

Get a 55 gallon drum, put a few posts in it, and store your
crankcase oil in the drum. Leave the posts in there a few months.
It's what a lot of old-timers did, especially for corner posts. And
after the soak, it was into a dry drum for several days to drain a
bit then a quick dip into water to clear the superficial residue.
Not saying anything about environmental considerations, just
mentioning something that was very effective.

The Rock Garden wrote in message
"MacTech" wrote

We're still using lots of 20 - 30 year old wood posts that were hand
peeled by my father-in-law and then soaked in creosote. Go with a good
wood post.

Even if creosote were still available for private use there is "wood" and
then there is "wood." :-)

What you say is probably true for locust, Osage orange, chestnut and some
types of cedar posts under ideal soil conditions, but I'm lucky if I can

get
6-8 years out of untreated peeled tamarack, and maybe 10-12 years out of
untreated peeled lodgepole pine fence posts.

I will continue to use wood posts as I can cut them right here on the

place.
If I had to buy posts, at the very least I would look for commercially
treated wood. Even then I'm not at all sure they would be the most
economical over the long run in a damp climate.

Skip

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA