Old 10-11-2005, 11:42 PM
shazzbat

Default Spring bedding in at last.

"sam" wrote in message
At last the spring bedding is planted up.
It's not the rain which caused the delay
but the mild weather.Bizzie lizzies,godetias,
and other annuals cheerfully flowering away
with no regard to the season,but they had to
go. Now they've been replaced by pansies,
polyanthus,narcissus,and tulips.We lifted them together,
me and the Plucky Little Woman,then I went ahead
forking over and breaking up the soil and raking
to a reasonable tilth,she followed on with
a trowel,dig drop fill,dig drop fill,
until the beds were full.
It's our 55th Anniversary this month,
55 years since I carried her across the threshold
of the house we still live in today.
Food was still rationed so it was a case of
fruit and veg and National Growmore in the garden
Now it's patio,lawns and borders rockery and shrubbery,
but I have kept a small vegetable plot (organic)
which currently has second cropping early
potatoes (for Christmas),leeks,onions,and garlic.
Look after your bit of land,friends,they're not
making any more.
Best wishes from the PLW and yours truly
Sam.

Haven't done anything in the beds at home yet, but might this weekend. Going
to have to sort out the Boston ivy soon, it's up around the guttering. I
love the colouring of it this time of year, but it looks so stupid when the
leaves fall off the leaf stems, leaving it all spiky until the stems fall
off too.

Went down to the allotment today and got the broad beans sown.
2 mice in the traps, 8mm rain in the gauge, all water tanks now full.
Brought home curly kale, some leeks and a cabbage.

Got a puncture on the way home :-((

Steve
Wear your poppy with pride.