Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 AM
Dave B

Default Dug up my Iris bulbs, but too late to plant...now what? Help please!

We moved into our house last winter (zone 7 - Virginia) and I got too eager
in my fall cleanup. We had a bed of Irises (I still don't know what
specific type) that was overgrown with weeds-turned trees and lots of
creepers from a nearby wisteria. They bloomed well this year but were very
crowded. I wanted to clean up the bed really nice, so I pulled out the
unwanted stuff and thinned and seperated the Irises last weekend. Yeah, you
know where this is headed. So when I actually took the time to research how
to properly replant and space the Irises I realized I started this project
way too late in the season. Help!

Right now I have two flats full of Iris rhizomes (must be at least 50) and I
don't know what I should do to salvage them. Do I store them for the winter
or replant and hope for the best? I hadn't trimmed back any of the plants,
so each rhizome still has 12 inches or so of greenery, and 6 to 8 inches of
roots. I'm feeling like an idiot and hope I don't lose these.

On a related note I have a bunch of daffodil bulbs that we dug up but
haven't replanted yet. And we'd love to relocate some tiger and daylillies,
but I'm not going anywhere near them unless someone tells me too. It's
apparent I'm a little in over my head...

-Dave