Old 11-11-2005, 06:36 AM
Starlord

Default Dug up my Iris bulbs, but too late to plant...now what? Help please!

It's NOT to late to plant them, as long as the ground is not frozen, you can
go ahead and plant them, at lest in a temp. bed. Just make sure the roots
are covered. I'm doing transplanting of iris right now during the days. If
you get them in the ground and feed them a bit, they may still bloom next
year, sometimes they wait for a year to bloom again.

Otherwise you'd need to put them in a lot of pots for over wintering.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

"Dave B" wrote in message
We moved into our house last winter (zone 7 - Virginia) and I got too
eager in my fall cleanup. We had a bed of Irises (I still don't know what
specific type) that was overgrown with weeds-turned trees and lots of
creepers from a nearby wisteria. They bloomed well this year but were
very crowded. I wanted to clean up the bed really nice, so I pulled out
the unwanted stuff and thinned and seperated the Irises last weekend.
Yeah, you know where this is headed. So when I actually took the time to
research how to properly replant and space the Irises I realized I started
this project way too late in the season. Help!

Right now I have two flats full of Iris rhizomes (must be at least 50) and
I don't know what I should do to salvage them. Do I store them for the
winter or replant and hope for the best? I hadn't trimmed back any of the
plants, so each rhizome still has 12 inches or so of greenery, and 6 to 8
inches of roots. I'm feeling like an idiot and hope I don't lose these.

On a related note I have a bunch of daffodil bulbs that we dug up but
haven't replanted yet. And we'd love to relocate some tiger and
daylillies, but I'm not going anywhere near them unless someone tells me
too. It's apparent I'm a little in over my head...

-Dave