Old 11-11-2005, 07:18 AM
madgardener

Default Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

just a quick question, Cereus......I have many kinds of thorny Euphorbia's.
(their names are on the pieces of vinyl blinds the gardener wrote them on
and it's 2 a.m, and I'm too tired to go out there and hunt for them in the
dark) I have the variegated one that is white on one side and green on the
other (don't flame me, I am just burnt out and don't feel like writing their
specific names.....) I have one that has reddish yellow leaves, no spines,
all kinds of them. I have left them outside and it's getting down to 35o
tonight. You think I've done terminal damage to them? I've got to prepare a
good spot for them to winter in this dry house with inadequate sunlight and
inadequate windows. Where would YOU put them for the winter in a dry,
electric heat pump heated house for the winter if they managed to go
unscathed in these sparce cold snaps? The last cold was a dry cold as we
were in a drought for over two months, but tonight it's humid because we
finally got some rain last night and I never thought.............I just need
your feedback on a better location to put them. I do have very sunny
southern window in den, and florescent lights in the downstairs that are two
foot from the top of a chest of drawers I place a thick plastic tray on top
of to catch moisture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow the
Euphorbia's come inside is why I am asking. If I haven't managed to kill the
red one I will be thankful. The two toned white and green one I can replace
if I have lost it. I apparently have over 11 different kinds of Euphorbia's
and I might have more than that if I counted them..........I'll describe the
rest tomorrow to give you an idea. thanks for your patience and expertise.
madgardener zone 7, Eastern Tennessee, Sunset zone 36
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
That would be Euphorbia trigona.

http://images.google.com/images?q=eu...earch+Image s

Since its a tropical species and not at all cold hardy, you probably
succeeded in killing it all by yourself.

Trying to save it is a waste of time.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually you are right. It appears to be a Euphorbia Trigonum. If not
it's very close to it. Would that change the scenario at all? Thanks
for your quick reply!