Old 12-02-2003, 05:25 AM
The Rock Garden

Default Wooden 4x4 vs Vinyl or Plastic posts?

"Michael Baugh" wrote

Get a 55 gallon drum, put a few posts in it, and store your
crankcase oil in the drum. Leave the posts in there a few months.
It's what a lot of old-timers did, especially for corner posts. And
after the soak, it was into a dry drum for several days to drain a
bit then a quick dip into water to clear the superficial residue.
Not saying anything about environmental considerations, just
mentioning something that was very effective.

Been there, tried that. I could not detect any difference in useful life
between this and plain peeled lodgepole and tamarack posts under our
conditions.

Skip

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN