Old 12-11-2005, 09:10 PM
madgardener

Default Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
m...
You better bring them indoors today.

I brought all my tender plants indoors before Halloween.

thanks. I tucked the red and yellow Euphorbia under the roof on the western
kitchen deck on the potting table. Brought in the split leaf philodendrum,
and the vining split leaf phil. The variegated geranium (pelargonium) got
nipped as it hung on the gutter on the southern side of the house, so I'll
shake the soil from the roots and bag it and hang it upside down in the
upstairs and hope it keeps until next spring like my grandmammy usta do.
The cactus are all fine, but I am now figuring out the placement of the
racks and iron ringed plant curtain. (the rings hook over the iron grids,
which is free standing like a curtain that I found a couple few years ago in
a Service Merchandise when it was going outa business, got solid iron, plant
dividers for $25 each and got two of them. One stays outside under
protection, the other comes inside to hold the assorted clay potted
succulents and cacti in front of the den's eastern door.

the euphorbia's are desperate for light. I need to keep an eye on them
during the winter so as not to lose them. Too unusual, and the gardener who
gave them to me ordered them special. It's been so unseasonably warm here is
why all mine are still out. Usually by Halloween I, too have moved all my
tenders inside. I still have all the downstairs tropicals to drag in the
basement! sigh.......thanks Cerieus, for the feedback. Plants coming in
this weekend despite the comfortable and mid 60's and low 40's evenings for
the next six days. (this global warming effect isn't thrilling me, it's
making me lazy with normal activities regarding my houseplants!)

madgardener