Old 14-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Thanks for the reply Madgardener! I cut back the plant but it doesn't
look good. Oh well! Live and learn! I won't chance any frost next time.
I'm the same way though. I remember picking a piece of Wandering Jew
that dropped off someones plant at the grocery store. 2 years later the
thing was huge!

madgardener wrote:
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
m...
Rot spreads throughout the cortex of the plant long before you see the
signs of damage.

Do whatever you want but you may just be fooling yourself.

have to side with Cereus on this one. By the time I discover rot, it's
usually killed off the remaining portion of the cactus and nothing on the
rest of the plant can be saved. You can seperate it from the rest of your
plants, cut it way back below the rot and hope for the best, just don't be
surprised by the smelly death of the rest of the plant. You might get lucky,
but you at least want to try. I've done the same and learned from my folly.
And it won't be the last time one of mine gets rot as well.....I'm a well
known murderer of cacti and succulents and the occaisonal tropical
houseplant. I never give up......
madgardener whose love of all things horticultural still keeps her way too
busy with mucking about with the affairs of these plants.............I just
bought two desperately needing attention spider plants,one was just potbound
and the pot was broken, the other's parent plants in the pots were yellow
and almost gone from a frost at the Lowes in East Knoxville but had at least
75 extremely healthy and well rooted babies hangiing in great clusters on
many, many stems that just needed clipping and repotting. So I bought them
both for $2.25 total (the broken potted one was 50c, the other was let got
for $1.75 when I looked at the receipt). by the time I repotted the healthy
one, and the babies, I wound up with SIX pots of spider plants~ so two are
going to a gardening friend next week to a good home, the others will reside
with me this winter hopefully growing into healthy pots for springtime.
sometimes a simple houseplant will add a bit of light and simple enjoyment
to the collection.