Old 26-11-2005, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default At what temperature does grass start growing?

In article .com,
Harris_Tweed wrote:
One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

That is not a question.

There is no precise figure, as the temperature sensitivity of grass
depends on the species, variety and conditions. Most native and
naturalised grasses will grow as long as they are not actually
frozen - it is the lack of light that stops them growing in the
winter, not the cold.

Not growing until the temperature reaches the 50s Fahrenheit is
typical of sub-tropical and tropical plants, and would be certain
death for a wild, perennial species in the UK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.