Old 27-11-2005, 04:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pied piper

Default At what temperature does grass start growing?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "Harris_Tweed" contains these words:

One of the few consolations of winter is that we can put away our lawn
mowers for a few months. However, as we all know, lawns will put on a
little growth during spells of mild winter weather. I remember
somebody telling me, donkey's years ago, that grass starts growing at a
precise temperature ...somewhere in the 50s Fahrenheit, if I remember
correctly. Does anyone know the precise figure?

Farmers here (Scotland) reckon established pasture requires day
temps of 55 in order to make new growth.

Janet

Soil temperature 4 degrees and above is the average for most species.
I have found with the warmer winters we are cutting grass virtually all year
round.
There was a time when come October I would send all my machinery for
overhaul and not get it back til March.
Now its a case of sending machinery in for about one week in January.