Old 27-11-2005, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default At what temperature does grass start growing?

In article ,
david taylor wrote:
I picked up a minimum growth temperature of 43 deg F for a British lawn
which ties in with gb's figures.

It also ties in with the altitude limits on grass in the UK, but
is still not a hard limit. Hardy grass will grow slowly at lower
temperatures. Above that temperature, the limit is likely to be
the light levels in winter - below that, probably the temperature.
Very roughly. I have seen discussions of these effects in some
scientific papers, but not the results of actual experiment.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.