Old 29-11-2005, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default illegal orchids or orchid smuggling.....

I think they'll say what Rob did. That the plant is legal in China
(whether Taiwan is China remains to be seen) and they'd go ahead and
judge it. If they answer at all, LOL!! Like a fool I signed my own
name and center, so they've probably opened a file on me, stating in
bold letters across the front that I'm too ignorant to elevate to
accredited - ever.

Otherwise, yes, I now see your point about just passing on a plant. No
need to get bloody about the thing. We had a situation 3-4 yrs ago
where a person brought in an album Paph helenea to judging and half the
group of judges wanted to allow it in for judging (let the AOS make the
final determination as to whether any award would stand) and half
refused to sit on any team that would consider it. It got rather loud
for the pac central, *G*.

K Barrett

Pat Brennan wrote:
This should be fun, I was guessing AOS would say they would not judge it.
Maybe we will get a gray answer.

As for judges playing cops--it is not that bad, they only pass on a plant,
not give a ticket with a court date. Besides, how many times have I heard a
judge say a plant was not what the entry label said it was and pass the
plant? It is a pretty common thing to hear at the centers here on the east
coast. I do not think this is a beyond a shadow of a doubt thing, much
more a preponderance of the evidence. No judge wants to be on a team that
gives an award to a incorrectly labeled plant.

Pat

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Rob wrote:

K Barrett wrote:

I just emailed the AOS judging committee and asked them. We'll see what
they say.

There would be no problem judging a Paph. hangianum cross in hangianum's
country of origin or a country which has allowed legal importation. For
example, Phrag. kovachii was judged at an AOS sponsored show in Peru, and
received several awards (last year?). But it would not be allowed in the
United States.

Of particular interest to me was discussion that a cross labelled as
using Paph. emersonii (legal) as a parent that had 'obviously' used P.
hangianum should also be barred. As if we can really tell that at the
judging table. "Wow, this is so nice it must have been made with
hangianum!"... Sure...

I see what you are saying, Rob, but is hangianum from Taiwan? Sorry to
split even finer legal hairs, but the US recognizes Taiwan, the Chinese
don't, and all this is beyond the mere judging of flowers...

As to your second point I agree. IMHO this policy changes the job
description from orchid judge to orchid cop, something I'm not trained
for. Its frustrating. How are you going to know beyond a shadow of a
doubt (or a preponderance of the evidence) that a plant was made with
hangianum? How are you going to know if that isn't mere jealousy? People
have been sued for less, or so I'm told.